Skip to main content

Time Marches On

For three months or to put it another way for 99 days Kaleb has been in the NICU. For those 99 days we have worked to create a new routine, a new sense of normalcy. It was not a normal we were fond of, who wants to drive an hour to be able to get to their child everyday. Somehow though it did become the routine. In that routine which was hard and very physically and emotionally draining there were good things I will take from it. It gave the chance for TJ to have special time with Kaden as he really stepped up and focused on Kaden getting him fed, dressed, bathed, and dropped off/picked up from daycare. TJ was a rock and Kaden was such a trooper knowing that Momma was with Kaleb taking care of him and his "boo boos." The hour drive each way gave me time. Time to grieve and vent my frustrations to God. Time to praise him for this trying time because it meant that there was a baby that was alive and getting the chance to grow. Time to blare music and for a brief time forget about it all. 

This routine brought many new faces into my life. People I will never forget and will forever hold a special place in my heart. Far too many to mention by name. Some were other parents who knew the struggle of the NICU. Some were random people who happened upon our path. Kaleb's nurses were technically that, his nurses, but they quickly became friends. They witnessed me at my weakest when I really wasn't sure how much longer we could keep it up. They were there to laugh with me, talk, and celebrate Kaleb's progress. Each and every one I will miss dearly. 

Tomorrow I won't know what to do with myself when I don't leave early before Kaden is even awake to make my trek to Saint Francis. I won't drive my same drive and pull in the same parking garage, go up the same elevators to that fifth floor. I won't wash and up in the wash room and walk into room 533 to say good morning to Kaleb. Time goes on. Sometime soon there will be a new baby in room 533. It will no longer be known as Kaleb's room. Another family will sit there rocking their precious little one. New tears will be shed and prayers said as another set of parents occupy room 533. A part of me will always remember those first cuddles as we were introduced to each other and learned about each other in that room. As I held him close and tried not to cry as I watched another wagon ride go by. It's amazing how such a trying time can also bring about so much good. Thank you to our NICU family you mean more to us then you will ever know. Fourteen weeks ago I had a baby. Fourteen weeks later I am taking a baby home. 

Then they became a family of four under the same roof. On to the next chapter...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My letter to Alex Gordon

Alex, I wanted to share a few pictures with you that show why I'm writing to thank you. You see my three year old, Kaden, knows more about baseball and the Royals than many adults I know. He loves as he would put it "all of the Royals" but without a doubt, without any hesitation when asked who is his favorite player is his answer is always one player; you.  I'm not kidding when I say Gordo was one of his first words. In fact anything baseball for the longest time was called Gordo. I'm not exactly sure why he took such a liking to you. I joke it's because his first ever game at the K and you hit a grand slam when he was not even a year old. For what ever reason he adores you. He even has a little Gordo plush doll that he likes to take everywhere.  This past year has been the toughest year for our family. Our second son, Kaleb, was born 12 weeks early at 2lb 2oz. We also learned of his diagnosis of Down syndrome two days after his birth. He spent

Home

Sitting here in Kaleb's nursery rocking him I look around his room and think about how many people have contributed to his room. How incredibly loved he is. I look at the decals I searched for and then put up with the help of his daddy. The chair I am sitting in given to us by Heather who sometime soon I will trust to oversee his care during the day. The little bear on the nightstand that Haley helped me pick out for him before we left the NICU. On the bookshelf sits the Curious George from Nana. I also see the Panda bear from Rance, Jessica, and Heath.  Baskets purchased while shopping with Courtney. Even the cart that his Grammy and Gramps found so that we could put all of his medical equipment on so that we could wheel it around the house. Everything in his room all the way down to the baseboards and doors finished by Daddy and Dalton were a work of love as we prepared the room for our little K2. The NICU family print that will soon be on the wall above his dresser, signed by th

Let Go and Let God: A story of a monkey and a banana, a Casting Crowns song, and my own stubbornness

This post is about a monkey and a banana, a Casting Crowns song, and my stubbornness. Those may sound like completely random things but all play a part in my learning to “let go and let God.”  We all have flaws after all we are human. Two of my biggest flaws are my stubbornness and my need for control. I like to do things my way, after all I tend to think it’s the best way so why wouldn’t I want to do it my way? See, controlling and stubborn. So you can imagine when I have a certain plan for my life I don’t easily let it go. So it’s safe to assume I didn’t like or appreciate being thrown some curveballs this past August and September. They didn’t fit into my plan for my life. I found God trying to show me the same lesson I have yet to learn; once again he was showing me that I am not in control and once again I argued back. Which brings me to the first part of my story.  This was not the first time God and I had words on the subject. This has been a long term lesson and one I have