Skip to main content

Six Months Later

Kaleb is six months old today. As many parents will say, I can’t believe it’s already been six months. Now that half a year has passed since that week at the end of August and Kaleb’s birth on September 1st, I’ve found myself looking back at that time. I admit it’s not hard that period seems as if every detail and moment is etched forever in my memory.


I admit tonight has been a little bit rough. Kaleb has been a little fussy and requiring a few more extra cuddles than usual. While it may be tough with a three year old who also wants his Momma and TJ on his way back from a golf tournament. I find myself while having to keep from getting frustrated also comparing the difference six months can make. 


Six months ago Kaleb’s future was very uncertain. Since hearing that we would be having a very small preemie we had no idea what to expect. I feared for my son. My heart was battling conflicting emotions. As they wheeled me into the operating room I kept my hands on my belly not ready to not be pregnant with him anymore. I would never feel his powerful kicks as he grew bigger. I would never have the opportunity to wish for his foot to move from my ribs or feel him get the hiccups. I was not ready for him to have to face the world before it was time, feeling devastated that my body had let him down and I couldn’t keep him safe. On the other hand they couldn’t hurry fast enough. They had determined it was now too dangerous for him to stay in the womb and I wanted them to hurry to get him out of the place that was hurting him.

I remember sitting on the operating table slumped over feeling as if I was carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders while waiting on the spinal block. My doctor walked in and saw me and in his caring manner came over and rubbed my back. The wall that had been carefully placed to keep the tears at bay came down and I no longer could hold them in as he rubbed my back and tried to assure me and tell me it would be okay. I remember telling him through my tears it wasn’t me I was worried about. I knew not far from where I was being prepped was another team, a team that was preparing for their new very tiny patient.


While they performed the cesarean section to deliver Kaleb I could do nothing but stare overhead at the lights as I waited for them to announce his birth. The prayer that I prayed to Kaden each night for the first year or so of his life kept coming to mind. As a new mother I would hold a sleeping Kaden in my arms beside his crib. I would be exhausted and ready for a break but I remember feeling scared and having a hard time finally laying him down. The world is a scary place where one never knows what could happen; SIDS, disease, tragedy, etc. I also knew that each time I put him down the next day he would be one day older, one day closer to no longer being the sleeping baby in my arms wanting mommy cuddles. So I would pray. This was the prayer that came to my mind as I lay on the operating table. I said it for my first son, so I would say it for my second no matter what the future held. “Lord, thank you for this child, your child. If it be your will please allow me another day to be his earthly parent, and with that day help me to remember the honor and responsibility that comes with it. Help me guide him and teach him. And always help me show him your love.” I added on, “I don’t know the future for his life but you do, I dedicate him to you. I know you have a plan for him. Be with me, help me be the mother he needs.” I then awaited the birth of my second son.


I will forever be grateful for two things. One, we still got to hear him cry when he was born. I had never appreciated a cry so much. Second, I was able to see him. I had been told that I more than likely would not get to see him until they took him to the NICU and I had a chance to recover. Kaleb in true Kaleb fashion showed us all by being stable enough that they could bring him around for me to see him. I will forever be grateful for that moment. So tonight I will give Kaleb those extra cuddles and stare at his little hands, his chubby cheeks, and every other feature that makes Kaleb, Kaleb. I will try to memorize and record each of them to memory. I will attempt to catch up on all the cuddles we missed out on the night of his birth and the fourteen weeks that followed in the NICU. I look at him and think of the night of his birth. I was finally wheeled to the NICU after recovering for a time. I braced myself to see him as I knew he would be, hooked up to various monitors and looking so fragile and tiny. I looked at him and grieved for the rest of the pregnancy I lost and the time after labor that we should have had where we would have looked at each other after he was placed on my chest as we begin to bond, studying and learning each other. Instead, I watched him and listened to the machines and monitors. I asked the nurse and was allowed to reach in and I touched his little arm.


Six months ago tonight we may not have known if Kaleb would even have a future. Six months later we are home. Six months ago he was a 2lb 2oz baby with a full head of dark hair. Six months later he is an 11lb baby with an uncontrollable full head of dark hair. He has continuously amazed me with his strength and his attitude. I love our talks. I love our cuddles. I love watching him and Kaden together, seeing Kaden’s unconditional love of his little brother. I am constantly reminded of my prayer the night of his birth. “I don’t know the future for his life but you do, I dedicate him to you. I know you have a plan for him. Be with me, help me be the mother he needs.” Kaleb I still don’t know what your future holds any more than I know Kaden’s or my own, but I do know part of the plan for your life. To teach me. To teach me and show me more about this world and His love than I ever knew. So thank you for these past six months and I look forward to many, many more.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My letter to Alex Gordon

Alex, I wanted to share a few pictures with you that show why I'm writing to thank you. You see my three year old, Kaden, knows more about baseball and the Royals than many adults I know. He loves as he would put it "all of the Royals" but without a doubt, without any hesitation when asked who is his favorite player is his answer is always one player; you.  I'm not kidding when I say Gordo was one of his first words. In fact anything baseball for the longest time was called Gordo. I'm not exactly sure why he took such a liking to you. I joke it's because his first ever game at the K and you hit a grand slam when he was not even a year old. For what ever reason he adores you. He even has a little Gordo plush doll that he likes to take everywhere.  This past year has been the toughest year for our family. Our second son, Kaleb, was born 12 weeks early at 2lb 2oz. We also learned of his diagnosis of Down syndrome two days after his birth. He spent

Home

Sitting here in Kaleb's nursery rocking him I look around his room and think about how many people have contributed to his room. How incredibly loved he is. I look at the decals I searched for and then put up with the help of his daddy. The chair I am sitting in given to us by Heather who sometime soon I will trust to oversee his care during the day. The little bear on the nightstand that Haley helped me pick out for him before we left the NICU. On the bookshelf sits the Curious George from Nana. I also see the Panda bear from Rance, Jessica, and Heath.  Baskets purchased while shopping with Courtney. Even the cart that his Grammy and Gramps found so that we could put all of his medical equipment on so that we could wheel it around the house. Everything in his room all the way down to the baseboards and doors finished by Daddy and Dalton were a work of love as we prepared the room for our little K2. The NICU family print that will soon be on the wall above his dresser, signed by th

Let Go and Let God: A story of a monkey and a banana, a Casting Crowns song, and my own stubbornness

This post is about a monkey and a banana, a Casting Crowns song, and my stubbornness. Those may sound like completely random things but all play a part in my learning to “let go and let God.”  We all have flaws after all we are human. Two of my biggest flaws are my stubbornness and my need for control. I like to do things my way, after all I tend to think it’s the best way so why wouldn’t I want to do it my way? See, controlling and stubborn. So you can imagine when I have a certain plan for my life I don’t easily let it go. So it’s safe to assume I didn’t like or appreciate being thrown some curveballs this past August and September. They didn’t fit into my plan for my life. I found God trying to show me the same lesson I have yet to learn; once again he was showing me that I am not in control and once again I argued back. Which brings me to the first part of my story.  This was not the first time God and I had words on the subject. This has been a long term lesson and one I have